Tuesday 25 August 2015

A new take on book reviews...

It's blaringly obvious I have an addiction to books. I read like I breath and write like I exhale. I am so passionate about good books that I want everyone to read them too. The problem is, is that book reviews are typically boring. You're not going to listen to me when I tell you how amazing Outlander is, not unless millions of people tell you and it gets its own show will you believe that there is something there worth knowing.

I've been wanting to get into reviewing books for a while. I may as well, since I read them so much. Being an author myself, I know how much of an impact they can have but, true to my nature, I don't want to be like everyone else. I want MY reviews to be special. I haven't really figured it out yet but I have a couple of idea's. The question is, what draw's you to a book? Is it a great cover? Do you only read books that are being turned into a movie? Is the back synopsis enough? What would encourage you to read a book, based on a review?

For me, I admit, I totally judge a book by its cover. If there is a cheesy man with hair longer than the womans holding her in an embrace that says, 'I want to murder you' more so than 'I'm madly in love with you', than its game over for me.

Same can be said for the synopsis. I like to think I'm pretty open minded. I'll read anything and likely enjoy it. Have you read The Ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman? It was the first book I read from this author and totally wasn't expecting a worm-type-thing in the bottom of a boys foot to turn into a poltergeist (yes, I'm serious)



. Nonetheless... I enjoyed the book. The imagery was vivid and the flow was smooth. The author really brought the setting to life and made the whole thing believable. It was a stretch for me, not my typical book but the synopsis sold me.

Lastly, I definitely read books that friends recommend to me, unless that friend has shit taste then I probably know to steer clear. Ha! This was totally the case with Outlander. Again, its not my typical go-to type book - Historical romance...Snooooore! - however, like I've said on my Facebook page, followers of this series are like a cult! They are so passionate about Jamie and Claire that they will literally make you feel bad for not reading it. I was totally bullied into it and now, that I'm done, I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment