Tuesday 3 November 2015

Ultraxenopia by M.A. Phipps - Review

I LOVE connecting with other authors. It's nice to know that there are other people out there who are going through the same things you are - on a literary level of course. With that being said, M.A. Phipps came across my path through Google+ or Facebook (I cant remember) and charmed me from the start.

I offered to review her book, Ultraxenopia, with very little in the way of expectations. While I loved The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Matched Trilogy, I never really considered post-apocalyptic stories my thing, especially (I cant believe I'm about to say this...) one from an indie author. I'm sorry, but, there are authors out there that just shouldn't. Futuristic stories require a lot of imagination, research and a particular je ne sais quoi.

M.A. Phipps has all of these qualities.

I was hooked from the beginning.

September/ October were probably my busiest months this year. I had three weddings, all of which were in different parts of the country. I had to finish writing, editing, promoting Releasing Authority and then publish it. All of this time I was reading Ultraxenopia and trying everyday my hardest to read more. It hurt to put it down. Wynter had me enamored from the first page. I felt as if I were right there with her. As if I was her because of the authors ability to not only describe the setting and mood, but to make you believe it as well.

With a name like W.A.R., it would be hard not to assume that this girl was badass. At first I was simply waiting for it. I wanted to yell at her to get her shit together and quit flaking out but at the same time, I understood her struggle. When she did get it together, and finally met Ezra, I knew I was going to like her even more. They were a great team and the tension between them... Sigh. I love tension.

Without giving too much away, there is a scene close to the end in a building with the members of PHEONIX and a certain evil doctor that had me wondering if maybe M.A. Phipps had read one of my books. Maybe taken a piece from my mind. Anyone who's read anything from me knows that I love me some bat-shit crazy females, and that's exactly what Wynter is... but in the best way of course.

Lucky for me, I got to read this book in its original glory. CHBB publishing has picked up Ultraxenopia and its series to be re-published in January. I highly recommend that when it comes out, you read it. I cant wait to see what's in store for Wynter and Ezra... My heart hurts.





















You can connect with the author here:





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment